HOME BASED – MAY REQUIRE TRAVEL (HOME BASED)
Fao food and agriculture organization of the united nations 0b851b84 06ce 4c66 a4e2 67ca2bcd8272
Organization: FAO – Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Location: Home Based – May require travel (Home Based)
Grade: Consultant – Contractors Agreement – Consultancy
Legal – Broad
Closing Date: 2021-08-03
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) leads FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with offices, centres and divisions at headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities.
In its programme delivery, RAF contributes to the achievements of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, guided by SDG 1 No poverty, SDG 2 No hunger, and SDG 10 Reducing inequalities as well as to supporting achievement of the broader SDG agenda, which is crucial for attaining FAO’s overall vision. In addition to supporting FAO’s work in Member countries, RAF develops and maintains strategic partnerships with continental organizations, such as the African Union Commission and Regional Economic Communities (RECs). At policy level, RAF supports countries to develop strategies, policies and regulatory frameworks as well as supports regional and country policy dialogues that sustain efficient and inclusive agricultural and food systems. RAF also facilitates partnerships with a broad range of stakeholders, supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.In the new FAO Strategic Framework, Better Nutrition has been identified as a key pillar for achieving SDGs, mainly SDG 1 and 2.
The International Nutrition and Policy Specialist shall report to the Senior Nutrition and Food Systems Officer under the overall guidance of the Regional Programme Lead.
Support and contribute to the promotion of Better Nutrition, including policy support and technical advice, capacity building, knowledge development, resource mobilization, advocacy and communication.
Research and analysis of information, data and statistics, and the maintenance and updating of related tools, methodologies, and/or databases to support the delivery of programme products, projects, publications, and services and in alignment with the Organization’s work for promoting Better Nutrition as part of the new FAO Strategic Focus Area.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Research and analyse agricultural, economic, trade, market, social, environmental, nutrition/food composition and/or employment related data, statistics and information to provide technical, statistical and/or policy related information and analysis to support the delivery of economic and social development programmes of work, products, projects, publications and services.
- Support the integration of better nutrition, in FAO’s work, including the disaggregation of data by sex and age where appropriate.
- Produce a variety of technical reports and inputs for technical documents, publications and/or web pages.
- Provide technical, statistical, and/or analytical services on various studies, projects, and/or assessments and provide technical backstopping to field projects.
- Participate in the development of improved/updated technical, statistical and/or analytical tools, methodologies, systems, databases, and/or key social/ economic/ environmental/ nutritional and/or early warning indicators, etc.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary teams, collaborate with other divisions and agencies on work groups and committees and promotes best practices.
- Collaborate in capacity development activities involving the planning and organizing of training workshops, seminars, and major meetings and the preparation of related information, materials, on-line tools and information kits.
- Promote knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations.
Participate in resource mobilization activities.
- Liaise with country offices and FIRST policy officers to update the database of national and regional interventions to fight COVID-19 and its impact on nutrition and food security
- Lead to the UN Food Systems’ response towards the COVID-19 and strengthen networks at regional and sub-regional level by liaising with stakeholders and other partners at country level to support analysis of COVID-19 socio-economic impact
- Support fostering of partnerships and coordination of COVID-19 responses and organize webinars for sharing of information and best practices
- Support cross programme nutrition COVID-19 response under the extended RAF programmatic areas
- Conduct a countries’ needs assessment for reinforcing nutrition work
- Liaise with Nutrition and food security Officers at country and sub-regional level to follow-up and provide support when needed on food security and nutrition interventions
- Participate in the Regional Nutrition Working group (RNWG) meetings and coordination
- Focus on SFW and support technical backstopping to SFW countries in nutrition
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in Economics, Nutrition, Food Security and any other related field.
- 7 years of relevant experience in areas of food systems and nutrition
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of French for Consultants. Working knowledge of English and French will be an advantage.
- Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge in setting up and undertaking empirical socio-economic analysis and developing, analyzing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating programmes/projects related to decent rural employment (DRE) in food systems;
- Extent and relevance of experience in youth inclusive policy development and related programmatic support, including experience related to promoting youth engagement in agri-food value chains;
- Depth of experience with relevant DRE approaches for youth and capacity to grasp, analyze and synthesize their relevance to current regional rural development issues and trends related to youth employment and entrepreneurship in food and agriculture, both on farm and non-farm employment;
- Extent and relevance of experience in supporting, advising and guiding the implementation of complex multistakeholder projects;
- Extent and relevance of experience in sub-Saharan Africa at international level is desirable
- Ability to develop plans for the implementation and coordination of project operations in developing countries, in partnership with UN agencies and other concerned stakeholders and/or partners;
- Familiarity with UN administrative, operational and financial procedures is an asset.
- Working knowledge of French will be a strong asset
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.